Monday, May 30, 2011

And the Third Character Meme - this one's for Nina

10 Facts about Judith

1. When she was young she wanted to have 5 kids. Although she says she's glad she's only had one, she still pines for a larger family.

2. She wanted to go to University, but her parents said no, so she did a secretarial course instead. Later she did a diploma of education which she supported herself financially.

3. She had 4 miscarriages before Grace, and 3 afterwards. At that point Brian insisted that they stop trying. She still remembers the anniversaries of 2 of them as they miscarried near the end of  their second trimesters.

4. Brian was her first, and she waited until they were married before they had sex.

5. Her favourite music is jazz - not the modern stuff or dixieland. She wishes she could sing like Billie Holliday. Her second favourite is classical - Debussy.

6. She's never been overweight or on a diet. In fact she has trouble keeping weight on.

7. She'd prefer not to work, but her salary is what covers most of the bills. She sometimes thinks that the reason why Grace is so wild is because she wasn't at home for her.

8. Judith is an only child. Her mother was an only child and so was her maternal grandmother.

9.She is tone-deaf.

10. She loves to dance old ballroom dancing.

4 comments:

  1. Her number three-- aww. That's even more fuel to the fire. Interesting how much music cropped up in her ten facts. The other things directly about her were all sad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lunar.

    Yeah - very sad. She's actually had a hard life aspiration wise. Music is/was a very big part of her childhood and still is a big part in her life. When she's concentrating on things she tends to hum to herself without thinking. Grace's gift for music comes from Judith.

    ReplyDelete
  3. #1 John is the oldest of five and my mother is the second youngest of five. It seems like a lot of kids. But then - all of John's siblings are close and stuff, so I can see how that might appeal to a family Sim. ;) And aww - yeah, I can see her telling herself and others that she's happy with just one even if it's not completely true.

    2. Awww - I feel all sad for her. Reminds me of my mother, who put her first husband through college instead of going herself.

    3. OUCH! That's a lot of trauma and grief, right there.

    4. *high fives Judith* Okay, so I didn't do the waiting for marriage thing, but the other, yeah.

    5. Oooh, interesting. Thinking about it though, I can see it. I'd like to see a scene of her by herself listening to some Billie Holiday maybe.

    6. /jealous ;)

    7. Sometimes I think I'd prefer not to work, but then I go on vacation and I have all this time to fill and I'm like what? But I guess it'd be different if you had a kid, and I can see why Judith would feel like that - she's all traditional. Which means that Grace must be very hard for her to deal with and understand.

    8. Yeah, I get the only child vibe from her. And I think I can see how a string of only child girls in that sort of family environment would result in someone like Judith. I'd like to know more about her mother and grandmother.

    9. Must suck for her, with her interest in music. Maybe it can be like Beethoven's deafness, and be something she can overcome somehow?

    10. Yep, I bet she would. Fits in with everything else. Does Brian indulge her and do they go dancing sometimes?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Stacy, Thanks for commenting :)

    She's definitely family-oriented person so yeah - it's been a hard life for her. I don't think anyone can get to a personality like hers without having some hardship and pain.

    With the music, she's really been more about the appreciation of it rather than the creation of it so I don't think that it's been too bad, her being tone deaf. (I believe) tone deaf is all about the singing, rather than as it's actually heard.

    No Brian and Judith don't go dancing, although they did when they were courting. This will come up in the book. It's not that he denies her - he's just an over-worker and doesn't make time to do anything much with his family.

    ReplyDelete