Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Another little snippet

The first thing I wrote at the first writing workshop I ever did... It's worth a read just to prove to myself that I used to write well.


He stands too close as he talks to me. I want to reach out and put my hand on his chest. I want to answer him but I don't have the voice. Breathe, damn you, breathe. I don't want to look in his eyes. I don't want him to see me. I take a step back.

He looks over my shoulder, and smiles. It lights up the universe, that smile. She walks up and plants a kiss on his lips. Creeps under his arm and cuddles. That smile, that hug, that look. It's not for me. The floor, the carpet, the 20 threads to the inch berber in metal grey blue - that's for me. I risk a quick glance. He doesn't notice. He's looking at her. The sun is in his smile. I stand in Winter. If I could cry, I would.

2 comments:

  1. wow...that is REALLY good!! What on earth do you mean prove to yourself that you used to write well?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your Comment Beth!

    All these stories, and this snippet I wrote about um... almost 10 years ago now.

    Because of stuff in Real Life (which I hate), I stopped having room to write for a long time.

    This year, this Nano has really been the first time I've written properly since then. I've had some abortive Nano attempts before, but they were still born children.

    The one I'm writing at the moment, is me back in my writing pace. It might be crap, but it's a story that wants to be told - so I'm writing it out as I have the strength for it.

    I posted this up before Nano - to remind myself. It is good, and I can write like this.

    Because I hadn't done any writing for years, I was scared I had forgotten, or that I never could and it was just a dream.

    ReplyDelete