Friday, October 22, 2010

Pilgrim’s Progress

A story about School Bullying, from the Point of View of the Victim. Based on a true story.


By the time Jennifer had noticed the bell for recess, all the children were gone. They had left, talking to each other, looking for their apples and bananas. Jennifer sat in her corner reading her book. The hero had just finished wading through the swamp to the gate. 

Jenny looked at the door. She knew that Josie would be waiting. She always was. Why couldn’t there be another way out?

Jenny edged outside, blinking in the morning light, walking down the steps to the playground. A foot appeared at the bottom step. She sprawled and her book skimmed across the playground. 

Her knees were grey from the asphalt burn.

“So Jenny - doofus. Reading again are you? What are you reading this trash for?”

Jenny struggled to her knees and winced.

“Give me back my book Josie. Please?”

Jenny’s voice wavered. She winced again. Josie’s smirk grew wider.

“And what if I don’t want to, wog? You going to try and stop me?”

“Josie. Please give it back.”

“No. I think I’ll read it.”

“You don’t want to read it, really. It’s my mum’s book and I need it back.” Tears in her voice.

“You’ll get in trouble then, won’t you? Jennifer’s in trouble. Jennifer’s in trouble.”

Josie laughed into the song. She looked around, her audience began to collect.

“If you want the book you’ll have to get it from me.” Josie sneered.

Tears started rolling down Jennifer’s cheeks. She didn’t try to reach the book from Josie. She knew there wouldn’t be any point.

“Cry-baby. Cry-baby!” Josie sang.

“Cry-baby. Cry-baby” the chorus of school children repeated.

Jenny stumbled and ran. The children followed, Josie in the lead.

“Cry-baby. Fungus face. Wet Hen. Henny Jenny.”

The library loomed ahead. Jennifer grabbed for the handle and turned. It was locked.

“Let me in! Let me in!” Her fists beat on the door. The door opened.

“We’re closed for recess… Oh it’s you Jenny - come in.”

The library door closed behind her and she was safe.

***

Jenny shuffled into the playground with her lunch. Josie sat surrounded by her cronies. Her grin widened when she saw Jenny.

“Josie. Could I have my book back now? Please.”

“No. If you want it back, you’ll have to get me something else.”

“What do you want Josie?”

“What do I want? I want you to get me a pie and a coke. Wog.”

“I don’t’ have any money Josie. Can’t I have my book please.”

“No. I’m thinking that it can be useful. You know, to make paper air planes out of. Write messages in class on.”

“Josie! Please don’t. My mum will really want it back.”

 “Yeah - you’re the one in trouble. Why should I care? You’re just a wog with a wog mother. You should go back where you came from.”

“But I came from here…” The tears caused her throat to tighten.

Josie laughed, everyone was laughing. Jenny limped away.

***

The classroom was deserted. Everyone was at sports. Jenny went to Josie’s desk and lifted the lid. She closed the lid. Jenny looked around. Any minute now, the class would come tumbling back. Around the walls were bookcases. She checked them all. She checked the bags, in the alcove. She turned to look in the hall. Straight into Josie.

“Looking for your book are you?”

Josie pulled the book from inside her school tunic, and waved it in her face. Jenny grabbed at it. Josie slapped her across the nose.

“Now. Now. No grabbing. If you want the book back, then you’re just going to have to fight me after school.”

“I don’t want to fight you Josie. I just want my book back.”

“Comes complete with a black eye and broken nose. Your choice Jenny. You a wimp?”

The kids following Josie nodded. “Jenny’s a wimp.”

“Fine. You want it so bad Josie. You have it.” Jenny turned away.

***

Jenny limped across the playground. Her knee ached and her heart ached and her throat was sore. Her eyes were red from crying, and her nose started to run. She felt around for her hanky. A hand snatched it away from her.

“Cry baby Jenny. It’s time for your beating.”

“Josie. No. Please?”

Josie dropped the hanky in the dirt, and then stood on it. She rubbed the ball of her shoe into every corner.

“There. It’s all ready for a dirty pig like you to use.”

Jenny stooped down and picked it up. It started to tear where the gravel was sharp. She put it in her pocket.

“Why Jenny. I thought you needed to blow your nose? Here let me help.”

Josie took a swing at Jenny. Jenny ducked away.

“You know Fungus face. I think the book’s shit. So that’s what I am going to use it for.”

Josie pulled the book out from her bag and gestured towards Jenny.

 “No Josie. Don’t. Please. Please it give it back.”

“You’re so pathetic. Plee-eese give it back.” Josie pulled a face. “Why don’t you burst into tears again. Wog for brains.”

Jenny said nothing. Her throat tightened.

“Josie. Don’t be mean. Please give it back.”

“Josie. Don’t be mee-aan. Plee-ease give it baa-aack. What a whiner!” Josie pulled a face. “Cry baby better get ready to die baby!”

Other children started to gather.

“Fight. Fight. Fight. Fight.” Josie strutted in front of them.

Jenny stood looking at her feet. There was no point in running.

Josie took a swing at her. Jenny ducked. There was an audible crack as Josie’s fist connected with Jenny’s face. Jenny fell backwards. Her world went black.

***

Jenny’s head rang. Some children laughed.

‘Good one Josie. Get her again.’

‘Fight. Fight. Fight’ The chant crescendo-ed.

Jenny sat up and ducked from the pain. Josie strutted around her, nodding to the crowd.

‘What’s the matter Jenny? You afraid? Wimp!’

 ‘Get up and fight. Coward!’

‘No.’ Jenny got to her knees. ‘I won’t fight you.’

‘You don’t have a choice - You can’t run away, I’ll get you.’

Jenny stood up. ‘I won’t run away and I won’t fight you. I’m not afraid of you anymore, Josie.’

‘Then fight me. Coward!’

‘No. I won’t. I’ve decided to be your friend, whether you like it or not.’

‘I’m going to beat you up.’

Josie looked at the children. The children looked at Josie - silent.

‘OK.’ Jenny looked Josie in the eye, then closed hers, ‘Go ahead. It won’t change anything. I’m still your friend.’

Josie shoved Jenny and Jenny fell backwards. She struggled to her feet.

‘I like you Josie.’

‘Shut up! You don’t like me. I know you don’t.’

‘I do. You’re smart and strong. You can think on your feet. You can be funny and friendly. I like you and that’s not going to change no matter how many times you hit me.’

‘Teacher!’. The crowd of children melted away as he came towards the two girls looking at each other.

‘What’s going on here?’

‘Nothing Sir. Josie’s my friend.’ Jenny looked at Josie and smiled.

‘I’m returning her book, sir.’ Josie passed Pilgrim’s Progress to Jenny.

 ‘You two go home. I don’t want to see this sort of thing happening again.’

‘It won’t sir.’ Josie smiled at Jenny. ‘Jenny’s my friend.’

10 comments:

  1. Kiri, this was well done, thankfully, I came through childhood and teens years relatively unscathed by such bullying, but I had seen it done to others, you capture the anguish well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Drew! I wouldn't wish this sort of bullying on anyone - but I do think that it needs to be understood. And like all experiences it shapes who people are. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stunning and real. no one who has not experienced that kind of terror can understand the isolation and the helplessness.

    The way it turned at the end astonished me. Definitely showed some advance strategy on Jenny's part.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Beth.

    I know that in the real experience, there wasn't really any advanced thinking. It was more a case of I just didn't want to be picked on, and all I could think of was, friends don't fight.

    But Jenny in the story is a smarter cookie than me, so I wouldn't be surprised.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, a good ending! Unfortunately, I would be afraid to react in the way Jenny did, I would fear that a friend request would probably end up in more bullying. But really, it was the best course of action, Jenny is a smart cookie indeed.

    You portray the situation in a great way, I was immediately drawn in and felt for Jenny. I really enjoyed reading it :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Lou. Yeah - it is a very risky thing to do. And it was a little more complicated than in the short story - but yeah, it was the best course of action.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kiri I have to say that you surprised me with the ending. Perhaps it's because I was so hoping to see Jenny "get back at" Josie for all the torment. I thought, "Does she have hidden abilities? Will she turn out to be a Karate expert?" That she over came her bully with a show of friendship and kindness was a shock. Maybe in this desensitized society we live in, jaded to the "turn-the-other-cheek" qualities, is what makes the ending so surprising. It certainly leaves and impression on this reader.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Velvet. Yeah - it's definitely not an expected ending. I'm glad you were surprised :)

    I hope it seems realistic (after all, it is a true story).

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just came across this. Wow, this sounds very familiar to me...I wish I could have been more like Jenny and come up with something a little more strategic. Instead, I just dropped out of school altogether.

    Very well done. I really liked this piece.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Bex! ((hugs)) Sorry to hear that you were picked on. I think it's very hard to think strategically at that age - and I think if I had the option to drop out, I would have.

    But glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete